Cape Breton University Students’Union
Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual
Last Updated: May 2014
The Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual, herein referred to as AP&P, is designed to outline procedures with respect to the day-to-day administrative operations of the CBU Students’ Union and state policies that serve as the guiding principles of the organization. Unless otherwise specified, the CBU Students’ Union adheres to definitions set out by Cape Breton University in their respective policies and by-laws. As per Section 26.01of the CBU Students’ Union By-laws, the AP&P is approved by a 50% plus one majority vote of the Students’ Representative Council, herein referred to as the SRC. It must be reviewed by an official Ad Hoc committee of the SRCevery two (2) years for any required amendments and approved by SRCas outlined above. All persons involved with the Student’s Union including: Executive, Full-Time Staff, Coordinators, Caper Times Staff, Volunteers and any other groups or individuals involved with dealings in the Union must adhere to these policies
Cape Breton University Students’ Union Administrative Policies and Procedures
Job Description – President
The role of the President is to provide leadership to the Union and help carry out the goals of the organization. The President is the Chief Executive Officer of the organization.
The President reports to the Students’ Representative Council, membership (students), and the Executive Committee of the Students’ Union.
1. The President is the elected Chief Executive Officer of the Students’ Union and shall be responsible to the SRC for overseeing the efficient and proper administration and operation of the Students’ Union.
2. The President is responsible for supervising the proper handling of the day-to-day governing of the Students’ Union.
3. The President shall be responsible for the enforcement of the Cape Breton University Students’ Union Act and the By-laws of the Students’ Union.
4. The President shall be responsible for amendments to the AP&P. All changes to policies must be passed through the SRC.
5. The President shall be responsible for representing the Students’ Union at all official functions of both the Students’ Union and Cape Breton University.
6. The President shall retain a seat on the Board of Governors of Cape Breton University and shall also have a seat on the Executive of the Board of Governors of Cape Breton University. The President shall retain a seat on Senate as well as the Executive Committee of Senate.
7. The President shall represent the Union on Cape Breton University and Students’ Union Committees that require his/her presence.
8. The President shall serve as the primary liaison between the Students’ Union and other external organizations such as, the Province of Nova Scotia, and all other media organizations. At the discretion of the President he/she may delegate representation to another Executive.
9. The President shall act as the primary liaison between the Students’ Union and the faculty, administration, and staff of the Cape Breton University.
10. The President shall be the overall spokesperson for the Students’ Union and oversee all staff.
11. The President shall maintain an ongoing file of all minutes and supporting documents of meetings of the SRC and the Executive Committee.
12. The President will be, along with another member of the Executive, a Board Member of Students Nova Scotia.
13. The President shall assume the responsibilities of the members of the Executive Committee should for any reason a member be unable to perform his/her respective duties until such time as a new Executive member is appointed.
14. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees and departments of the Students’ Union and SRC with the exception of the Students’ Union Budget Committee and hiring committees.
15. The President is responsible for all Students’ Union appointments to CBU Committees.
16. The President shall perform other such duties as directed the SRC.
17. The President shall submit a year-end report to the SRC at the final meeting of the SRC in March. This report will contain pertinent information to the incoming Executive and encompass recommendations for the next year.
18. The President shall make available to each SRC member, prior to the first regular meeting, access to a copy of Robert’s Rules of Order, the CBU Students’ Union Act, and the Bylaws of the Students’ Union.